Thursday, October 4, 2012

R.A. 10175

Where do I begin?

First, let me tell you that I am not good with interpreting the law. That is the reason why I don't want to blog about this in the first place. I want to get all of the sides and all the stories before I even write about it. And right now, I think what Filipinos need is a deeper and more detailed explanation about the RA 10175 also known as "Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012."

We know a lot of offense such as hacking, cyber bullying, cyber sex, credit card swindling but what about commenting or liking or writing our opinions? What about freedom of expression in the cyber world? Is that punishable by this law too? Some say, that authorities can block access to web sites deemed offensive and Internet users can be sued for libel by simply liking or sharing content that displeases others. Libel means anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents. So if I post on my Facebook "Walang hiya naman si _____ nakakasira ng araw!" will I sued and be in prison? 

Ah, laws! Such a powerful instrument that can either be good or bad. Are the people becoming too careless and insensitive with their words and actions that we need a law like this to put an end to it? I don't think so. I think the lawmakers (aka the senators who passed this) and our dear president need to reevaluate this. They need to redefined it/ They need to answer to people, to us. Honestly, Internet Libel scares me. Paano kung bigla lang may maisulat ako na offensive pala sa ibang tao o sa isang government official? We're is the democracy then? 

Now, I know whose side I am. And if you are on the side of freedom too, you can help by signing a petition to junk RA 10175 here. Make your voice be heard if you are against this law too!


No comments:

Post a Comment