Thursday, June 21, 2012

Think Before You Drink


One of my New Year's resolution is have a healthier lifestyle. If you think that's easy, think again! It's hard when you're accustom to eating junk foods, and greasy meals, and my weakness - softdrinks and artificial juices. I am failing big time with self-control. I've been sober (from softdrinks) for a while, meaning H2O only. But BAM! after I tutored 3 students today, I was so thirsty I drank a bottle of Sprite straight up. I couldn't help it. I thought I can continue soda-free for at least a month but I am really having a hard time.

I found the photo above in FB and I felt more guilty than ever! See the sugar below the drinks? Yup that's approximately how much sugar we take when we sip these drinks. How about those brands of beverages that is not shown here? Well, it's easy to know their sugar content. Check the nutrition facts label on the can, bottle or carton. All of the nutrients in a drink are listed on the container by the manufacturer. Look for the sugar label and the digits you see there is the amount of sugar it contains. For example, a 12 oz can of Coca Cola contains 39 g. of sugar. Basically, the larger the numbers are, the more sugar it has. To make a better perspective, here are the presentation of the sugar:

12 oz (355 ml) Can Sugars, total: 39g Calories, total: 140 Calories from sugar: 140
20 oz (590 ml) Bottle Sugars, total: 65g Calories, total: 240 Calories from sugar: 240
1 Liter (34 oz) Bottle Sugars, total: 108g Calories, total: 400 Calories from sugar: 400
Check more images here: sugarstacks


Actually, we need sugar in our daily lives. Sugar, also known as Carbohydrates, gives our body enough energy to keep us active all day long. Certain organs, such as the brain, literally require carbohydrates in order to function properly. On the other hand, when we take TOO much sugar the effects are diseases like diabetes, or heart attack or being overweight. The possibilities are endless. The lesson here I guess is taking sugar in moderation and having them in a natural way! Instead of drinking softdrinks or other beverages, why not drink mango shake or buko shake? Or if you can, stick on drinking water. And have it at least 8 glasses in a day. Hehe. Now I sound like a healthy buff. If only, it's easy as it sounds. :(

After all these informations and illustrations, I will do ALL my power to stay away from unhealthy foods and drinks. God, help me!




2 comments:

  1. I've been soda-free for many years now. Yay! :) bawal na kasi talaga because hyperacidic ako eh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi! atleast no soda k n tlga. ang hirap pigilin lalo n pg mainit ang panahon. tpos kakain kp s fastfood. puro tuloy softdrinks ako. :(

      Delete