Tuesday, May 29, 2012

And so it is decided...

I've been glued to the TV since 2:00 PM. My mother had to miss episodes of her daily dose of afternoon telenobelas. Yes, like many Filipinos, I waited and watched the verdict on the Impeachment Trial of Chief Justice Renato Corona. This is historic for us. The first Impeachment trial that push through. The first one was with the former President Joseph Estrada. And all I remember from that was the dramatic climatic decision whether to open or not an envelope. I am not good with history but the next thing I know, people were on EDSA again and then Erap was ousted. But this impeachment is done with great systematic procedures that was lead by the Honorable Judge (I always want to say that :) Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile.


There are 23 senator judges and it takes 2/3 of the total votes to decide whether CJ Corona will be convicted or acquitted. That means at least 16 senators should have the same vote to decide the fate of the defendant. I really don't have any idea how they will vote. I mean the defense is good! How they have cited some Republic Act laws that somehow justified Corona's excuse in not filing the correct SALN. And the reason why some properties were not included too. Besides, CJ Corona always say that he had done it in good faith and somehow I ask myself  "who are we to judge?". Maybe he was telling the truth for all we know. And when CJ signed a waiver giving consent to open his dollar account, the prosecution didn't cross-examine or even bother to look at it or show it to the public. Hey, I want to see that just for curiosity sake! Sen. Escudero is right when he said that the trial would have been decided earlier if only CJ just signed the waiver from the start then. So, that's how the defense goes. 

On the side of prosecution, there are lots of questions as to how they acquired their evidences. Sen. Defensor-Santiago always question the validity of it like the AMLC report, or the list of bank accounts that according to the prosecution was given by "a small lady." Somehow, the prosecution lacks preparedness and the legal skills that true blue lawyers have. How can you battle out with the likes of Retired Justice Serafin Cuevas? I mean they know the law inside and out. They are prepared, they know the proceedings. But despite the prosecution's lapse, there is that nagging truth about the ill-gotten wealth of the accused. What if it is true? What if he just manipulate all the facts? And the most important question: Can you trust again the highest legistative body if its own CHIEF JUSTICE has suspicions of graft and corruption? 

How would the judges weigh their decisions? My mind says ACQUIT, but my heart says CONVICT! And so the trial would have a 21 GUILTY votes if I am a senator judge because I always follow my heart . You'll never go wrong if you follow what your heart says. And I think that is what the 20 senators did when they voted Guilty. Finally, the case has been decided... 


Hope this will make our country more united and finally let's move forward people! 












No comments:

Post a Comment